Founded in 1947, the family-owned company began with a single greenhouse and a roadside stand offering bare-root perennials and field-grown shrubs. In recent years up to 35 employees were engaged in retail and growing operations on three farms with over 35 acres in production.
During 2017 the owners, Kris and Mark Gilson, approaching age 65 elected to liquidate the nursery and garden center, hopefully selling to others interested in maintaining this proud horticultural tradition!
We believe that a nursery should play a unique and important role in the community. It should be a pleasant and mellow place to visit or work, a place to connect with people and plants, a place to learn, a place to grow. Our proudest achievement relates to all the student-workers we have employed over the years! Now we have children of former student workers on staff! In addition, we continue to cherish and respect this fertile land along the shores of Lake Erie and the rich ecosystem that surrounds it. We take seriously our responsible stewardsip during the short time (70 years!) and the three generations that it was on loan to us.
While our final season is bittersweet, there is a beginning and ending to all human endeavors. We will continue the website along with Mark’s posts on environmental horticulture, nursery history and the human zoo.
Mark Gilson, President, has backed up this commitment with personal involvement in community and industry activities:
- Nursery Growers of Lake County Ohio (past president 2008)
- Ohio Nursery and Landscape Association (invasive plant work-group 2012)
- Ohio Invasive Plant Council (board-of-directors 2012)
- Lake County Farmland Preservation Workgroup (through Soil & Water Conservation District)
- Lake County OSU Extension (advisory committee, executive committee 2011)
- Lake County Development Council (agribusiness committee)
- NGLCO Summer Field Day (chairperson 2013)
- Perry Township Planning Workgroup (Lane Road Corridor Study 2009)
- Perry Joint Economic Development District (2010-2014)
- Ideastream (Cleveland Public Broadcasting) Community Advisory Board (2011 – 2017)
- Lake County Ag Water Users Group (co-founder 2009)
- Latino Advocacy as a Friend-of-Hola (2007 to present)
Our previous affiliations: