Founded in 1947, the family-owned company began with a single greenhouse and a roadside stand offering bare-root perennials and field-grown shrubs. Today up to 30 employees are engaged in retail and growing operations on three farms with over 35 acres in production.
We believe that a nursery should play a unique and important role in the community. It should be a pleasant and mellow place to visit or work, a place to connect with people and plants, a place to learn, a place to grow. We cherish and respect this fertile land along the shores of Lake Erie and the rich ecosystem that surrounds it; and we strive to be responsible stewards during the few years or few generations that it is on loan to us.
Mark Gilson, President, backs up this commitment with personal involvement in community and industry activities:
- Nursery Growers of Lake County Ohio (past president 2008)
- Ohio Nursery and Landscape Association (invasive plant work-group 2012)
- Ohio Invasive Plant Council (board-of-directors 2012)
- Lake County Farmland Preservation Workgroup (through Soil & Water Conservation District)
- Lake County OSU Extension (advisory committee, executive committee 2011)
- Lake County Development Council (agribusiness committee)
- NGLCO Summer Field Day (chairperson 2013)
- Perry Township Planning Workgroup (Lane Road Corridor Study 2009)